Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Feeling Old

As I sit around on another night, I find that my thoughts have been building up, aching to burst free through my fingers. As I sit and think about the last 21 years of my life, going on 22 here soon, I find that I am feeling old and slightly out of place in the activities that I partake in. I went to a concert on Wednesday alone. Normally, I would have someone to go with me, but this was a different occasion due to the fact that school is out. The kids I hang out with here during the summer do not agree with the musical standpoint that I have, but I couldn't care less. As I pull up the the venue, 2 and a half hours after I have left Burlington, I find a small crowd, maybe 10 or 15, hanging outside waiting to get in. I park my car in the farthest spot away possible in order to get out ASAP when the show is over. I approach the venue with caution as I know no one in the city. I stand by the door near others that seem to be close to my age and wait to be let in. The show doors don't open for almost an hour after announced, so I sat and talked briefly with the other kids. As the doors are about to open, a bouncer walks out and asks for anyone who is 21 to please inform him so they could get a wristband. I was at the front of the line and spoke up. The guy took one look at my ID and handed it back to me. I was surprised that he didn't take a second look, this was the easiest it has ever been. The other kids I was standing with also handed him their IDs, so I was feelin pretty good. He draws X's on their hands and they go "OH, Over 21? yea thats not us." The guy calls out one last time and walks back inside. I am the only one at the show that was 21 that waited in line. After getting in, I saw people show up sporadically that had the wristbands on, but I still felt a bit strange.

I have had these feelings for a while now and while they aren't going to stop me from doing anything, they do lurk in the back of my mind. They especially affect me when I realize that I am in my last year of college and will have to move on to the real world after this. I am not really scared, but more of impressed by how far I have come. I would like to know how far I will eventually go, but that is more of a wait and see type of thing.

1 comment:

Westopher said...

Keep what time you have left in mind when entering this near year. You have a year more to explore and show everyone what your made of, but don't forget this is also your last year in the Champlain Community.

I know you'll do well man, and I'm excited to see whatever things you create this next year.

Just remember, it won't be long before your a small fish again in a very large pond.