Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Safety Of Routine

Wake up.
Shower.
Get dressed.
Get in car.
Turn on Ipod, Open coke.
Tune out parents on 15 minute drive to work
Arrive at work 5-10 minutes early, unable to open the door until 8 a.m.
Enter office, sit at computer until 9:30
Drive cart to post office
Pick up mail
Drive cart back to mailroom
Sort mail
Sit and wait until 10:45
Deliver half of the mail
Return to mailroom
Wait until lunch
Take an hour for my half hour lunch break
Return to mailroom at 1, only to have to wait around until 2 when UPS and Fedex make their drops.
Deliver rest of the mail
Listen to my boss make fun of everyone until 3:15 when he lets me out early
Wait until parents get out at 3:30 and proceed to drown them out with my ipod once again on the ride home
Get home, crash for a couple hours, eat dinner, "relax" until I fall asleep.
REPEAT.



This routine has gone on now for two full weeks and I am pretty much bored and slightly disgusted at the fact that I can generalize every day of work I have had into such a schedule. I need something that changes from day to day. I need something that I can look at and not know exactly what is going to happen every minute of every day. I need something unexpected, and I don't mean not having my bosses just randomly not come into work so I have to run the whole mailroom. I know that I don't want to be here because my heart doesn't change its beat when I come in or while I'm here. This is why games mean so much to me, they keep my mind active and they keep my heart racing.



If you follow a routine for too long, you'll forget that there is variation...

No comments: