Saturday, June 14, 2008

Start the Takeover

How to begin...

I started this before and didn't like the direction it was heading, so here we go. I don't really know what I'm doing right now in life. I'm currently stuck in New York in a dead end minimum wage job for the summer. This job isn't all that bad, but I look around me and see what my friends are doing. They sit around and play cards all day and get paid almost twice as much as I do. I hate to say it, but it really shows that life isn't all that fair.

I'd rather be back at school. Even if it meant I was stuck at a minimum wage job up there, at least I would be happier. I should have applied for a job with the EMC this summer, but just couldn't bring myself to doing it for some reason. Maybe it was the constant rejections that I got from game companies over the last couple months, or maybe I just resigned myself to coming back to NY and working just like everyone always does. I realize, now more than ever, that if I don't escape from here soon, I may never make it out.

Before my brother left for Florida, he talked to me about all the people he went to school with, who are mostly all graduated from college by now. He went out and hung out with them and came home only to realize that none of them had anything to show for themselves. They were all working minimum wage jobs at places like Walmart.

Now, not everyone can see the turnout that keeps getting stuck in this area, but I can. When more than half your graduating class goes to college in town because they are either too afraid to leave or too afraid to pick a major to go study, you notice that you have to get out.

This brings me to going to Canada next semester. I know that Montreal is not all that far out of the country, but it still is just that, out of the country. My friends here at home constantly make fun of the fact that I told them that I'm studying abroad. "Canada isn't abroad...", "That's such a joke." I wouldn't mind them saying this if they themselves had gone abroad somewhere, but no. These are kids that have barely left the state, let alone the country, to do anything more than vacation. It's not only the fact that I'm going abroad, It's the fact that I am damn proud to go to Champlain College. I work at AU and know how the campus is. Compared to Champlain, this place is a hellhole. There is nothing, there is no one, it is just a dead end. Both schools house about the same number of students, and if I had the choice, I would pick Champlain over Alfred 100% of the time. Because of the fact that I am proud to go to school for my major, which was technically hard to get into, my friends find it funny to make fun of me at every turn or any time that college comes up. I have no regrets going into the field that I am in now. I will not doubt myself, and I will stay true to what I want to do in life, which is to make games.

Life isn't always what we want of it, and I can understand that. I'm able to push through any adversity or any problem with nothing else but people that believe in me and help from those around me. I am damn proud to have the friends that I have to this date, and I regret little to nothing that I have done up to this point in life.

It is our mistakes that bring us down, and it is our friends that bring us up and make realize what we have done, in turn making us better people.

No comments: